Bayou Community Foundation’s 2021 Grants Program is OPEN!
Bayou Community Foundation’s (BCF) 2021 Annual Competitive Grants Program for nonprofit organizations opened January 11. Letters of Intent are being accepted through Monday, February 22, 2021 on BCF’s new online grant application portal.
Following this initial grant request phase, selected organizations will be invited to participate in the more extensive grant application process. BCF expects to notify organizations selected to participate in this next application process by April.
Federally approved tax-exempt nonprofit organizations in good standing serving residents of Lafourche Parish, Terrebonne Parish, and/or Grand Isle are eligible to apply. “Good standing” means that the IRS currently acknowledges the organization as tax exempt and state registration is current.
Grants Program Description:
Grants will be awarded for programs that address critical community needs in the categories of human services, education/workforce development, and/or coastal preservation in Lafourche, Terrebonne, and/or Grand Isle. To be considered, programs must serve one or a combination of these specific communities; grants will not be awarded to support programs serving other communities.
Average grant amount is estimated to be $10,000; actual individual grants may be higher or lower than this estimated average. Grant funding period is July 1, 2021– June 30, 2022. The number of grants awarded and grant amounts will be determined by the BCF Grants Review Committee based on merit and total grant monies available by award date. Mid-year and end-of-year grant reports will be required of all grantees.
Grants are designed to fund the implementation of new, expanded or continuing programs addressing local community needs identified above. Grants are not intended to fund general operating expenses or staff salaries, re-granting programs, endowments, scholarships, scientific/medical research, or private organizations.
Grant requests and subsequent application will be evaluated based on criteria such as:
- Does the program and/or organization meet eligibility requirements and is it aligned with BCF’s grants program description?
- Does the program address a clearly articulated need? Are realistic goals identified? Is the program proposed for the grant well thought-out and strategic?
- Does the program and/or organization have a track record of success?
- Is the grant request clear and realistic, and is it directly linked to program objectives?
- Would a grant from BCF make a significant positive impact on the program and the need it is addressing?
- Are there other appropriate and/or significant resources for program funding?
Particular consideration will be given to organizations that:
- Partner/collaborate on the grant request or program execution with other organizations having similar missions in our region;
- Serve a significant population in high need or address a high need in the community;
- Rely primarily on local gifts and grants for funding;
- Exhibit strong leadership at the staff and Board level;
- Demonstrate good fiscal management; and/or
- Participate in BCF/GNOF workshops, events, and other nonprofit development opportunities.
Questions? Contact Bayou Community Foundation Executive Director Jennifer Armand at (985) 790-1150 or ArmandJ@BayouCF.org.
Since 2013, BCF has awarded grants to qualified nonprofits in Lafourche Parish, Terrebonne Parish and Grand Isle as part of the Foundation’s Annual Competitive Grants Program.
The program seeks to fund human services, education, workforce development and coastal preservation programs meeting critical unmet needs in our region, many of which have been identified in the 2013 Community Needs Assessment Conducted by BCF.
Traditionally, the BCF competitive grants program opens in early January with a call for initial, one-page grant requests from qualified nonprofits working in our Bayou Region. A BCF grants committee reviews the initial requests and then selects a number of these requests for a second, more extensive grant application process. Final grant awards are traditionally announced in June/July, and the grant funding year is July 1 – June 30.
View a list of BCF competitive grant award recipients here.